Chichester by Gaslight
Chichester by Gaslight

A forum style vampire game based on White Wolf's Victorian setting located in the re-imagined historical city of Chichester.

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Sunday, 25 July 1880 [real dates: 02 - 13 June 2014] GAME CURRENTLY IN HIATUS - ST WILL CHECK BACK REGULARLY

Share | 

Miscelaneous

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Eustache de Mailley

Character sheet
Appearance:
3/5  (3/5)
Health:
7/7  (7/7)
2/5  (2/5)

PostSubject: Miscelaneous   Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:26 pm

First topic message reminder :

Sorry I was taking a while there on my posts. Combination of having just rolled in the door from work and being way out of practice. Wow am I out of practice.
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Re: Miscelaneous   Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:14 pm

"You can Trust us, Clan Tremere are your friends" Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Eustache de Mailley

Character sheet
Appearance:
3/5  (3/5)
Health:
7/7  (7/7)
2/5  (2/5)

PostSubject: Re: Miscelaneous   Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:04 am

Can't we all just get along? bounce
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Miscelaneous   Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:45 am

Sure we can, without any trouble whatsoever. pale
Back to top Go down
Eustache de Mailley

Character sheet
Appearance:
3/5  (3/5)
Health:
7/7  (7/7)
2/5  (2/5)

PostSubject: Re: Miscelaneous   Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:54 pm

No new posts or any action going on today? Where is everyone?
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

Character sheet
Appearance:
5/5  (5/5)
Health:
7/7  (7/7)
5/5  (5/5)

PostSubject: Re: Miscelaneous   Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:02 pm

These things happen. Doesn't stop you from starting something though.

PostSubject: Re: Miscelaneous   Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:46 pm

Sorry, busy day yesterday, still trying to get things complete for my own site. Add to that the worst killer migraine I have had for a long time and you can understand what was keeping me away. Normally I go out on Monday's, but even that got knocked on the head.
Back to top Go down
Eustache de Mailley

Character sheet
Appearance:
3/5  (3/5)
Health:
7/7  (7/7)
2/5  (2/5)

PostSubject: Re: Miscelaneous   Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:01 pm

Migraines are nasty business. Hope you feel well soon.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

Character sheet
Appearance:
5/5  (5/5)
Health:
7/7  (7/7)
5/5  (5/5)

PostSubject: Re: Miscelaneous   Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:03 pm

Sorry to hear that Baz, hope you're feeling better?

PostSubject: Re: Miscelaneous   Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:51 pm

Still suffering some of the few after effects, but otherwise okay thanks guys.
Back to top Go down
Eustache de Mailley

Character sheet
Appearance:
3/5  (3/5)
Health:
7/7  (7/7)
2/5  (2/5)

PostSubject: Re: Miscelaneous   Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:15 pm

How is everyone today?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Miscelaneous   Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:45 am

Shattered, trying frantically to avoid character death in another game and up to my ears in revision. You?
Back to top Go down
Eustache de Mailley

Character sheet
Appearance:
3/5  (3/5)
Health:
7/7  (7/7)
2/5  (2/5)

PostSubject: Re: Miscelaneous   Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:58 am

Recovering from surgery and hopelessy flailing about without direction with my character on here.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Miscelaneous   Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:42 am

Yeah, I was lke that for a bit. Always the case in new games I feel.

Trying to avoid any kind of meta knowledge here but for what its worth, this is how I proceeded:

Decide what you want to happen - as my character is young there is no realistic chance of becoming Prince. What I can do though is throw my weight behind an NPC in the expectation that if they win they will reward my aid and my power will increase. So I picked a candidate.

Look at what you have - OK. I know little about Eustache, but I seem to think he's a Priest? Well, OK. Lets look at that. Priests have something even better than the power of life and death, they have the power of heaven and hell. The unwashed know jack about theology and if a priest can put forwards a convincing case why Lord so-and-so is a devil worshipper he will find his popularity challenged. Do you maybe have the bishop's ear? A noble given you a tasty secret (obviously you'd never break the sanctity of confession, but...)

Figure out how to put what you have into what you want - so, each of the contenders for Prince must have some kind of mortal power base. Can you stir up the unwashed to attack/boycott whatever your candidate's opposition controls? Can you have a quiet word with the bishop and have him give a thunderous denouncement from the cathedral?

Figure out where the counter attack will come from - obviously, they're not going to stand there and watch you whittle away their power. How will they stop you? That will also come from their power base, vampires simply dont attack one another in the street. If your target is militaristic, maybe you can expect an attack on your holdings - hire guards. Mercantile - insulate yourself from the economy. Social - make sure that they dont get the ear of your supporters.

Then use the resources you've gained and the skills you've learnt in that 'round' to bargain into an even more succesful one next time.

I hope you dont feel I'm being patronising. Its ust that I know you haven't played vampire before and it can be daunting when someone just says 'so. what are you doing now?' Hope you can take the above in a spirit of advice rather than a spirit of stupid colonials dont know anything.
Back to top Go down
Eustache de Mailley

Character sheet
Appearance:
3/5  (3/5)
Health:
7/7  (7/7)
2/5  (2/5)

PostSubject: Re: Miscelaneous   Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:53 am

Wow that is a lot to take in but very helpful. I don't see it as patronizing at all, it is definitely very daunting. Thank you for the advice.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Miscelaneous   Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:10 am

OK, an online game I played in that was recently abandoned:

I played an Assamite.

I decided what she wanted at character creation. She wanted to set up a smuggling network so that the Assamites could move weapons around north england without anyone finding out. Fine.

She had very little, certainly wasn't the owner of any handy trucking firms. So I took a kind of lesser goal in the what I want bit - I want to be able to load goods in Whitehaven and have them unloaded in Carlisle with noone being the wiser. Thats a bit more realistic a goal.

What do I have for that? Well, I have the Obfuscate discipline, which means I can get places unseen and I have the ability to create ghouls.

How can I use this? Well, I can hang around the truck stop and find out who does the loading and unloading. I can then follow them home without them seeing and ghoul them.

Counter attack? Well, no kindred were involved but Customs + Police might well look askance. Counter attack would likely come in the form of inspections of trucks (for one). So I need to insulate myself against that. I can repeat this ghouling process with Bob the customs agent and get him to give me a heads up on any planned raids. Bulletproof.

Repeat in Carlisle and I now have a secure network. Using that secure network I can move regular freight around. Doing this gives me money, that makes the next stage - Whitehaven to, i dunno, Newcastle that bit easier. Once thats got, I have control of a cross country trucking service. I can use that to get easier access to depot workers, dedicated vehicles, etc. Using that its easier to expand to other cities. Before you know it, Aisha is head of a smuggling empire.

OK, none of that actually happened, but that was the plan.
Back to top Go down
Eustache de Mailley

Character sheet
Appearance:
3/5  (3/5)
Health:
7/7  (7/7)
2/5  (2/5)

PostSubject: Re: Miscelaneous   Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:14 am

I understand. I do have some things I want to happen with Eustache, I'll try to put more focus on those things.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

Character sheet
Appearance:
5/5  (5/5)
Health:
7/7  (7/7)
5/5  (5/5)

PostSubject: Re: Miscelaneous   Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:07 pm

This is one of the things I like about forum based games - they cater more for the low fantasy aspects of the game.

Eustache de Mailley

Character sheet
Appearance:
3/5  (3/5)
Health:
7/7  (7/7)
2/5  (2/5)

PostSubject: Re: Miscelaneous   Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:09 pm

Definitely a lot more character development is involved.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

Character sheet
Appearance:
5/5  (5/5)
Health:
7/7  (7/7)
5/5  (5/5)

PostSubject: Re: Miscelaneous   Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:15 pm

I think it is a more accurate reflection of how vampires might behave too. I mean, around a table-top there is some pressure, some, to work as a cotorie all the time. Individual activities become second place. Here, people can work together if they want to, more than doing so because they feel they have to.

PostSubject: Re: Miscelaneous   Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:20 pm

Agreed. I've just had a similar conversation last week with my bro about tabletop games. Character development seems to fall by the wayside far too often and it becomes about who can roll the most dice with the best modifiers.....especially in D&D.
Back to top Go down
Eustache de Mailley

Character sheet
Appearance:
3/5  (3/5)
Health:
7/7  (7/7)
2/5  (2/5)

PostSubject: Re: Miscelaneous   Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:39 pm

That's why we lovingly refer to D&D as "Hack and Slash". As fun as it is there really isn't a whole lot of imagination to it. You actually have to be a little clever in this game...maybe that explains my suddenly frequent headaches lol.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Miscelaneous   Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:14 pm

Admin wrote:
I think it is a more accurate reflection of how vampires might behave too. I mean, around a table-top there is some pressure, some, to work as a cotorie all the time. Individual activities become second place. Here, people can work together if they want to, more than doing so because they feel they have to.

Not at our table top. I activly seek to destroy as many of Jasons characters as I can. Problem is he does such a good job himself I dont have the heart to kill any of them.
Back to top Go down
Eustache de Mailley

Character sheet
Appearance:
3/5  (3/5)
Health:
7/7  (7/7)
2/5  (2/5)

PostSubject: Re: Miscelaneous   Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:23 pm

Lol there is something to be said for sitting around the table all night. Ah fond memories.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Miscelaneous   Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:25 am

John wrote:
Not at our table top. I activly seek to destroy as many of Jasons characters as I can. Problem is he does such a good job himself I dont have the heart to kill any of them.

Oh Jesus Matt. As if you're capable of preplanning and rational thought. Remember when you lost at Chess to that rock?
Back to top Go down
Eustache de Mailley

Character sheet
Appearance:
3/5  (3/5)
Health:
7/7  (7/7)
2/5  (2/5)

PostSubject: Re: Miscelaneous   Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:12 am

Losing at chess to a rock...wow that would require some skill. Was it igneous or metamorphic?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Miscelaneous   

Back to top Go down

Miscelaneous
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Chichester by Gaslight :: Game Controls :: Out of Character-
Jump to: